Gardening Basics for Everyone
- Vegetable Planting Guide for Columbia, MO
- The National Gardening Association
- As part of the mission of a land-grant institution, the University of Missouri has lots of information and resources for the gardener available through Outreach and Extension.
- Seed planting calendar, descriptions of commonly available vegetable varieties, cool/warm season vegetables (Kansas City Community Gardens)
- GardenGuides is a commercial site with helpful resources for the garden.
- Learn about organic gardening practices.
- The USDA has gardening basics on their site for gardeners.
- Sustainable Gardening subject guide from Daniel Boone Regional Library
- Home & Garden subject guide from Daniel Boone Regional Library
- Library books on gardening:
Canning & Food Preservation
- Complete Guide to Home Canning
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- MU Extension Food Preservation Guides
Local Gardening and Food Resources
- Boone County Farmer’s Market
- Columbia Farmer’s Market
- Columbia Garden Club
- Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture
- Dept. of Conservation field guide to Missouri plants & animals
- The Food Circles Networking Project has its heart right here in Columbia.
- Grow Native encourages landscaping with plants native to Missouri
- Heart of Missouri Master Gardeners
- Jefferson Farm and Gardens and Jefferson Agricultural Institute
- The Root Cellar
- Missouri Farm to School
- Slow Food Katy Trail Convivium
- Superior Garden Center offers monthly gardening tips newsletters
- Sustain Mizzou
- Sustainable Farms & Communities
- Walk-About Acres family farm
- The Heartland All Species Project is in Kansas City
- Gateway Greening is a community gardening group in St. Louis.
Dealing with Lead Contamination
- University of Minnesota Extension on lead contamination
- Cornell University: Children, Gardens & Lead
- Oregon State University: Evaluate & Avoid Lead Hazards
- Washington State University: Lead & arsenic poisoned soils