Gardening Basics for Everyone
- Vegetable Planting Guide for Columbia, MO
- Gardening videos from the Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture
- As part of the mission of a land-grant institution, the University of Missouri has lots of information and resources for the gardener available through Outreach and Extension.
- Seed planting calendar, a rundown of cool/warm season vegetables, a spacing guide for denser planting in raised bed gardens and other gardening guidesheets from Kansas City Community Gardens
- Home gardening help from the Missouri Botanical Garden
- GardenGuides is a commercial site with helpful resources for the garden.
- Learn about organic gardening practices with MU Extension’s guide to “Organic Vegetable Gardening Techniques” or with articles from Grow Organic.
- The USDA has resources on their site for gardeners.
- The National Gardening Association
- Library books on gardening:
Canning & Food Preservation
- MU Extension Food Preservation information, workshops and resources
- Complete Guide to Home Canning
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
Local Gardening and Food Resources
- Boone County Farmer’s Market
- Columbia Farmer’s Market
& the SNAP matching programs
- Columbia Garden Club
- Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture
- Dept. of Conservation field guide to Missouri plants & animals
- Discovery Garden Club
- Missouri Food Finder — discover local food sources.
- Grow Native encourages landscaping with plants native to Missouri
- Heart of Missouri Master Gardeners
- Missouri Farm to School
- Sustain Mizzou
- Gateway Greening is a community gardening group in St. Louis.
Dealing with Lead Contamination
- University of Minnesota Extension on lead contamination
- Lead Safety for the Home Gardener – MSU
- Oregon State University: Should I Worry About Heavy Metals in My Gardening Soil?
- Washington State Department of Ecology: Gardening and landscaping in lead & arsenic poisoned soils